What is Operating System and its Types?
Here Information helps us to know what is Operating System and types of Operating System.
What is Operating System and Its Types?
An Operating System is system Software which is responsible for operating the Computer. Without its help you cannot run any application program on the Computer. It manages and makes optimum use of processor, available Hardware, Software, input-output system and memory. It is an interface between the Hardware and User.
Let us Understand Types of Operating System:
TYPES OF OPERATING SYSTEMS:
- Single-user, Single-tasking Systems : These Operating Systems are designed for a single user to perform a single task at a time. For example, in DOS (DISK OPERATING SYSTEM), you cannot print a document and copy a file from hard disk to floppy disk at the same time. You have to do these tasks one after the other.
- Single-user, Multi-tasking Systems : These Operating Systems are designed for a single user to perform many tasks at a time. This means that if you want, you can print a document, edit a file and listen to music simultaneously.
- Multi-user Systems : These Operating Systems are designed for a several users to perform several tasks simultaneously. Such Operating Systems make sure that the requirements of various users are balanced and a problem with one user doesn't affect the other users.
- Multi-processing Systems : Each of the above mentioned Operating Systems were with reference to a single processor. But if there are more than one processor and different tasks are assigned to different processors, it is called multi-processing system.
- Real Time Operating Systems (RTOS) : These Operating Systems are used to control machinery, scientific instruments and industrial systems where operations have to be performed exactly in a specific time. An RTOS has very little user-interface capability.
Besides the Microsoft Operating Systems, there are other systems like UNIX, LINUX, AND Mac OS. UNIX is used for powerful PCs, mainframes, workstations and network servers.
LINUX is an Open Source Software. It was developed as a free or low cost shareware over the Internet in the 1990s.
Mac OS was developed by Apple Computers for Macintosh Computers which have GUI (Graphical User Interface).
Services of an Operating System :
- It manages all the computer resources and schedules the tasks for the CPU to carry out in sequence.
- It allows a user to access data and programs.
- It manages user's requests, commands and instructions.
- It keeps a track of login and log out time of a user, files used and other tasks carried out.
- It protects the system from incorrect programs and users.
- It keeps a record of date and time of creating a file or modifying it.
- It provides several tools and utility programs to help a user use the computer more efficiently.
- Error detection and response.
What is Operating System
Single-user Single-tasking Systems
Single-user Multi-tasking Systems
Real Time Operating Systems
Services and Tasks of an Operating System
Windows- Operating Systems- Types of an Operating Systems.
Tech writer at NewsandStory
Total 359 views